Thursday, April 23, 2009

My first hospital experience!

Yesterday was the scheduled non stress test at our delivering hostpital. I had to be there for a 1:00 appt. I had only a small idea what to expect. I knew I would be have 2 moniters hooked up to my belly one for each girl. Those moniters were hooked up to a machine that printed out some type of charting. I also had a third moniter hooked up to see if I was having contractions. Needless to say those things were hooked to me with these tight elastic bands, that were not comfortable. The first 40 minutes or so the nurses thought things were going well until they realized that they were tracking MY pulse for baby B rather than the babies. You ask how.. well for this entire pregnancy my heart has pretty much raced, so all 3 of us have similiar rates, I guess the nurses were kind of suprised by that. So we started the test again, and Baby B just was not easy to track, she required a nurse to sit on my bed and hold the moniter so that they could get any type of results, well after the first round of a nurse doing so, they sent the test strip to my doc, he said it was a "no go" and wanted to see more. So we did it again, same thing with Baby B not being easy to track. The nurses again sent in, and again got the "no go". By now I am getting ansy.... the hostpital bed was SOOO uncomfortable for me, I am kind of sad about that, I think of hostpital beds as big and comfy for OB patients, well did I have something to learn! I will definiatly be bringing my own pillows for the next time! The nurses were all very nice and friendly and that made my experience a little more comfortable too! Anyway by my 3rd go around and Baby B not giving the results we need, my doctor ordered a biophysical ultrasound. I was starved by this point and started asking if I could eat the crackers I had brought for a snack... the nurses asked me to wait until they asked my doctor, because if he felt that the babies needed to come out, then eating was not allowed.... I was a little shocked to hear them even talking about babies coming out!!! About 20 minutes later they came in and told me it was alright to eat! WOOHOO that means the babies were staying in and I was going to feel a litte bit better! After I finished my crackers the ultrasound guy came in. He was there and down to business! He timed each babies lungs and their breathing for a good 15 minutes each, he then watched their head, arms, and leg movements individually for quite sometime. After he was finished he documented all of his observations and then measured the amniotic fluid the girls had. He was very optomistic and made me feel good about the test. After a bit my doctor came in the room, and said both babies had passed the test and everyone looked good! He said the problem was essentially that we have one very stubborn baby. She was not cooperating for the orginal tests, so he just wanted to be thourough and check everything out. I told him I was very happy with that philosophy! So after a 7.5 hour stay at the hostpital I got to come home! Baby A has changed positions and she is now head down again.... I wonder if she will stay like that???? We have our next appt a week from today, it will be a regular dr. appt and ultrasound! I love getting to see our girls, yesterday they were moving around quiet a bit, especially Baby B when it was her turn. I think she just wanted to be on camera! Thanks so much for all of your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment